Before you hire a builder for your new house...
Be sure that you can answer each of these important questions.
- What is a good design for our needs?
- Who is responsible, overall, for my building project?
- What are good sizes and proportions for rooms? What style do I want?
- What am I really getting from the builder?
- What problems do I have in my current house that I don't want to repeat?
- Where can I find answers and help? How do I make my desires known?
- What is a dispute; a lien?
- What are specifications? Does the builder write and provide them?
- What if my builder does something in a way I don't like? Is the house going to be complete; will something be left out?
- When will the house be finished?
- Is that a good material, I've never heard of it?
- Who picks the color of the paint, wall coverings, etc.?
- Is landscaping included? Sod? Seed? mud and rocks? Slopes? Are landscape features guaranteed?
- What if I disagree with the builder? Can I stop the work?
- Am I allowed on the job site? Can I inspect the work as it goes up? Can I bring someone with me?
- Should I close on the mortgage and pay the builder in full? I have several items that I don't like - must I still close?